Google
 

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Quickie Chemo Cap Free Crochet Pattern


On one of my Yahoo groups Bev's-Charity-Challange we were asked to make just one hat on Christmas day. Since I was over at my son's apartment I didn't have a lot of yarn with me except what I was using for a couple blankets, this is what I came up with. It's a really simple chemo hat, very soft and, at least I think it is, very pretty. I made it in less than an hour and I'm going to give you the almost-a-pattern pattern. It's just too simple to call a pattern. I used a varigated yarn and somehow it just striped perfectly. I tried to do it again, same yarn, same hook, same pattern and it wouldn't do it.
Quickie Chemo Cap
You need to use a super bulky yarn such as Red Heart Baby Clouds or Light and Lofty. I used a size N hook. I do crochet rather loosely so you may need to make adjustments, also I have two N hooks that are totally different in size so yours may not give the same size hat. The one I made will fit an adult woman.
Ch 4 and join to form loop
Round 1: ch 3 (counts as dc) 15 dc in loop and join (16 st)
Rd 2: Ch 3 dc in same st 2 dc in each st till end and join (32 st)
Rds 3 - 8: Ch3 dc in each dc and join
Rd 9: Ch 1 sc in each dc
See how easy? If you want to make chemo hats and have some suitable yarn it doesn't get any easier or quicker than this.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great hat!

Anonymous said...

That is a great hat. I will be making them for a friend who has cancer.

Mary Lou

Anonymous said...

I love this pattern! I made 10 of them yesterday and they were perfect. I plan on making at least 50 and taking them to the local cancer center in Plano.

thank you for the wonderful pattern!!!!

Lisa T said...

Very nice and simple pattern. I'm using it with another yarn, and while it will take a bit longer, its easy and looks good. Thanks for sharing.

beth1225 said...

thanks for sharing. I am making some for our local YSC group! I am going to try it in Lion Brand Homespun. I'll post on my blog how it turns out!

Posh Pooch Designs said...

thanks for this quickie pattern , my mother has Breast cancer and I am going to make her a pink one. Thanks,Sara

Crystal said...

Thank you for this great pattern. I am working on chemo caps for the oncologist office that cured my husband's cancer. To spice up the caps I crochet a flower to attach to the cap.

Anonymous said...

I made my first Quickie Chemo Cap in no time at all. Wow, what an easy pattern! I'm just a beginner, so if I can make this hat, anyone can. Thanks for the pattern. I can't wait to give it to my friend.

Anonymous said...

Love this pattern. Thank you so much for sharing it. As a cancer survivor I can tell you how much these are cherished.

Amber said...

I want to make this for a friend of mine that has breast cancer. I'm gonna do her's in pink. I'm gonna use the same yarn. I was just wondering how many can you get out of one skein? It seems pretty simple.

Deb Upcycles said...

It's been a pretty long time but I seem to remember getting 2 or 3 out of a skein.

cynthia said...

Thank you so much for this pattern. I am a 13 year survivor and I showed my breast cancer support group how to make this hat at our last meeting. Now, we are going to give other women going through what we did a cap to lift their spirits. What a great little cap. Again, Thank You

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this great pattern! I just whipped one up and I am going to give it to someone special! Thanks Barb