Google
 

Saturday, March 8, 2008

Sunflower Lap-Ghan Free Crochet Pattern


This is a product of serendipity. I bought the wrong yarn!! I was buying it for a sweater pattern but bought worsted weight instead of sport yarn. Not exactly having unlimited funds I had to come up with some way to use it. So my kids sunflower sweater became a lap-ghan and I love how it came out.

Finished size 30 X 42

Gauge: I used a J hook and the squares came out to 6 1/2"
Materials:
about 12 oz royal blue
about 6-8 oz sunflower yellow
about 3-4 oz green
small amount of brown
These are approx. since some of it was partial skeins
Make 24 squares
Rnd 1: With brown, Ch 4 and join, ch 3 (counts as 1st dc) 15 dc and join to top of ch 3, 16 dc
Rnd 2: With yellow, Join to any dc ch 4 (counts as dc, ch 1) *dc, ch 1 in each dc around, 16 ch1 spaces
Rnd 3: With green, Join in any space, ch 3, in same space 2 dc, ch2, 3 dc, ch1, *sk next ch 1 sp, 3dc in next sp ch1, sk next st, 3dc, ch2, 3 dc, ch1 repeat from * twice, sk space, 3 dc ch 1 and join.
Rnd 4: With blue, Join in any corner, ch 3, 2dc, ch 2, 3 dc, ch 1,( 3 dc, ch 1 in each side space), 3dc, ch 2, 3dc, ch1 (corner made) continue around and join, sl st to corner
Rnd 5: ch 3, 2dc, ch 2, 3 dc, ch 1,( 3 dc, ch 1 in each side space), 3dc, ch 2, 3dc, ch1 (corner made) continue around and join
Join: in 4 rows of six, you can join in any manner that you like but I usually do it by holding right sides together and sc in back loops of stitches
Border:
V stitch: dc, ch 1, dc
Rnd 1: With blue, join with sl st in any corner ch3, 2 dc, ch 2, 3dc, ch1, 3dc ch 1 in every space along side, in corner space 3dc, ch2, 3dc, ch1 (corner made) continue around in this manner
Rnd 2: With yellow, join in any corner, ch 4, (dc, ch1) 3 times, * in center stitch of next 3dc group V stitch, ch1 to next corner. In corner, V stitch, ch 1, V stitch, ch1 continue around in this manner join to 3rd ch of beginning ch 4.
Rnd 3: With blue, Join to any corner, ch 3, dc, ch2, 2 dc, ch1, in each V stitch along side 3 dc, ch1 to corner, in corner 2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc continue around in this manner.

18 comments:

MOLLY said...

Deb its beautifull .
Molly : O )

Mom of 5 said...

Your awork is absolutely beautiful. I LOVE this pattern.

Holly said...

Hi! This is Holly/liberryteacher on crochetlist. I just had to leave a comment that I loooove this lap-ghan. I have a blue sunflowered kitchen. :o)

Donna said...

Hi, Deb: Nice work! I love the pattern!

Julie said...

Very nice, I will have to consider making this.

Robin Fonner Andersen said...

this is awesome. I'm going to post the link to it on my blog:)

Anonymous said...

That afghan is gorgeous! I had a friend pick it out as a housewarming present and it was by far the prettiest pattern she found. I've made a bit of variation to it to make it look like gerber daisies (her decorating scheme), but I might have to do a sunflower one for myself! :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much. I changed the colours - centres two different shades of orange, flowers deep yellow and a darker blue. Crocheted the square together with green and it is fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much. I changed the colours - centres two different shades of orange, flowers deep yellow and a darker blue. Crocheted the square together with green and it is fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!!!

Suburban Hooker said...

What a wonderful pattern Deb, thank you so much for sharing it with us and for sharing your link at HappyHookers!

vicki said...

deb this is adorable i love how the bright blues and yellows mingle together thank you so much for sharing this and all the other patterns hugs vicki

The Crochet Crowd said...

I relinked this to http://www.mikeyssmail.com pattern section to go with the tutorials.

Handmade with Aloha said...

I'm just learning to crochet and I was looking for a lap-ghan to make for my Mom (she'll be 88 this year), and found your pattern. I LOVE THIS!!! Thank you!

Nancy

Tink's Tinkerings said...

This is so cute, I got the sweather pattern years ago and made it for my grandaughter who is now 19.Your right it called for sports weight yarn. I think I will make her a lap blanket now from your pattern , she is going to get a kick out of it I'm sure. She is a mad crocheter also. thanks for the idea, it's great. I put your link on my blog.

Sara said...

I have just come across this lovely sunflower afghan, it is really lovely.

free good night messages said...

I will make her a lap blanket now from your pattern , she is going to get a kick out of it I'm sure. She is a mad crocheter also. thanks for the idea, I LOVE THIS. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that I will be posting a link to this on my blog.

It's gorgeous.

Regards,

Carla