Google
 

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Crocheted Newborn Sweater Set Free Pattern

Although this pattern is for the sweater set in the middle, it can easily be adapted for either of the two side sets. For the white and green set simply substitute plain dc for shell rows. For the pink one on the right don't change colors. I used an H hook and sport weight yarn and get 4 dc = 1 inch. These sets are newborn size.

V stitch dc, ch1, dc in same stitch

Shell stitch sc, 3dc in same

SWEATER

Using contrasting color Ch 52
You are starting from the neckline
Guage 4 dc = 1 inch

Row 1: dc in forth chain from hook,(Ch 3 counts as 1st stitch here and in every row), dc in next 5 chains, V st in next ch, 9 dc, V st, 14 dc, V st, 9 dc, V st, 7 dc end

Row 2-6: join main color and ch 3, dc in each dc and V stitch in each V stitch.


Row 7:(forms the armholes) ch 3 and turn, dc to first V stitch, folding so 1st and 2nd V stitches are together dc in both to join them, dc to next V stitch and join 3rd and 4th V stitch in same manner, dc to end

Rows 8-15: ch 3 and turn, dc in each dc

Row 16; in contrasting color ch 1 and turn sc in same st as ch 1, *sk 1dc and shell in next dc, repeat until last 2 st, sc in last stitch.

Armhole pattern (optional)

Row 1; Join contrasting color to bottom of arm hole, sc in each stitch and join

Row 2; ch 1, *sk 1 sc, shell in next repeat from * join to ch 1 at beginning of row.

For ties, either ch 120 and thread through first row or you can use a length of ribbon

HAT

Rd 1; with contrasting color, ch 4 and join, ch 3 (counts as first st) 14 dc into loop (15 st) join to ch3

Rd 2; ch 3, 2dc in each dc, join to ch 3

Rd 3; ch 3, dc in same space as ch 3, *dc in next st, 2 dc in next repeat from * around

Rd 4 -10; change to main color, ch3, dc in each dc join to ch3

Rd 11; change to contrasting color, ch1, sc in same st, * sk 1 dc and shell in next dc repeat from * around, skip last dc, join to starting sc

BOOTIES
Ch 3 at beginning of each rd counts as 1 dc
With contrasting color Ch 4 and sl st to form loop.

Rd 1; ch 3 and 11 dc in loop. (12 sts)

Change to main color
Rd 2; ch 3 *2 dc in next stitch dc in next repeat from * (18 sts)

Rds3 and 4; dc in each dc

Heel

Row 1: ch 3, dc in all but 3 dc

Row 2 -4: dc in each dc and end leaving 6 in tail of yarn

Sew back of heel together by using the back loops only

Cuff
Join Main color yarn at back where it was sewn together

Rd 1: ch3, 7 dc evenly spaced down side, dc in each dc left open, 7 dc evenly spaced on other side and join

RD 2-4: dc in each dc end main color

With contrasting color
Rd 5: ch1, sc in same sp as ch1, *sk 1 dc shell in next dc, repeat from * around, sk last st and join to sc
For ties either ch 70 for tie or you can use ribbon.

36 comments:

RecycleCindy said...

Love this pattern. Thanks so much for sharing. I must try it out.

crochetbutterfly said...

Hi Deb,
I am almost done with the sweater
and it is coming out great!! Thank you so much for the help.
I was wondering if you would know
how many rows of dc you would add
to make long sleeves. Once again
thank you for such a great pattern.
The hat is done and it looks awesome!!!

Deb Upcycles said...

Eight rows and then the scallop pattern row should be about right. Or 9 rows without the pattern.

crochetbutterfly said...

Thanks Deb, your awesome!!!

Anonymous said...

I love this pattern! It came out soo cute!
I would be finished with the sweater but I was using scrap yarn and ran out... So tommorow I will finish it!
It's such a quick and easy pattern... Took me under 2 hours!
THANKS!

Anonymous said...

I love the pattern. I'm expecting my first child on Turkey day. I was wondering if you could tell me what weight yarn you used and what size hook? Thanks

Deb Upcycles said...

I used an H hook and sport weight yarn and get 4 dc = 1 inch.

Anonymous said...

Just thought I would lend you the link to the pictures of the sweater I made with your pattern! Really great pattern, Thanks!
[url]http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l412/earthtochelsie/Picture015-3.jpg
http://i330[/url][url].photobucket.com/albums/l412/earthtochelsie/Picture016-3.jpg
http://i330[/url][url].photobucket.com/albums/l412/earthtochelsie/Picture017-3.jpg[/url]

Maggi said...

Deb, this was my first attempt at crocheting a sweater for my baby, and it couldn't have been simpler. Your instructions were so easy to follow, and it came out so cute! Thank you so much for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

Very cute, but there seems to be an error in the first line. Shouldn't it be dc in the first 5 dc, not 5dc in first 5 dc?

Anonymous said...

This is cute-but you need long sleeves on it. Could you adapt it?

Anonymous said...

hi Deb,I completed the sweater,it looks cute...thank you so muchhhhh..wish u a happy new year.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am having a bit of a problem with row 7. I know I am doing something wrong, but not sure what. I am left with 7 stitches for each of the front flaps after that round. I dc 7, dc v stitches together, dc 14, repeat for the other side. Am I missing something? It is doesn't look like the picture!

Unknown said...

Yes, the V-stitches, starting with the first row should be adding one dc to each front flap and 2 dc to the back with each row. By the time you reach row 7 you should be working with 14, 28 and 14 stitches. You are probably skipping over the "extra" stitches added by the V-stitches.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for a wonderful pattern. I made the sweater and hat in one evening. It turned out very cute.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful site to find out about. Thank you for sharing all you do.

BARBARA said...

I HAVE USED SEVERAL OF YOUR PATTERNS AND LOVED THEM. THIS SWEATER SET STUMPED ME !! USING AN "H" HOOK AND BERNAT SOFTEE CHAINING 52 IS WAY WAY TOO SMALL !!
I ASSUMED YOUR USING "SPORT" WEIGHT WOULD BE THE SAME, 3 PLY.
I MEASURED MY NEIGHBORS NEW BORN 7-1/2 LB BABY AND ADJUSTED TO 90 CHAIN WITH 14,V,16,V,24,V,16,V,14.
IT FITS PERFECTLY.

Anonymous said...

Im having trouble with the the little baby booties, im on the heel and it says on row 1 crochet in all but 3 and then on row 2-4 it says crochet in all so i skip the 3 and join at the begining of row 1, so that leaves me with a hole in the shoes that i sew in later?

Deb Upcycles said...

You are leaving an opening for the instep when you leave those three open, you should be able to picture it better when you do the cuff.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am wondering how many yards if sport weight yarn I will need to complete the project on an H hook?

Kate said...

Deb . . . this is the second time I've done this pattern . . . and if anything, I like it MORE this time around . . . :)
I did figure out a way to make the booties in one piece, and I like it better that way . . . not sure if it's the yarn I used this time or the technique used . . .
either way . . . THANK YOU for this awesome pattern! :)

Anonymous said...

Deb, I've used this pattern several times . . . it is so cute! I've made it for both an infant boy and girl. It's quick and takes no time. Thanks

cinsey56 said...

thank you for the wonderful pattern! I am a newbie to crochet world and the pattern was easy to follow. I have made up 2 sweaters in the newborn size. How can i make a larger size?

Angelina said...

I am starting with the booties first, I am so confused over how do I go about sewing the heel together I have another hole, besides the loop by the toes do I sew this too? Then were exactly am I supose to join yarn for cuff? Down what side do I evenly DC 7, then what open DC do I DC in to to go to other side of DC7? I guess I need more detailed instruction, Im not even sure of where the in-step is on a shoe! I hope you can help, I really love your pattern and would like to make the whole set. Thank you.

meshell4CRAFTING said...

thank you so much for this site ,,,you have showed me how to read a pattern . i started a blogg becouse i seen your's thank you for this .. check out my site ,
and i pray you don't care i put you on there as an insparation .
thank you

Anonymous said...

I had a stroke and can't read some of my old patterns. This is great I can read and crochet it. I love the finished sweater.

EDanmeri said...

Thanks so much for this pattern. I made the sweater this evening and so easy! It looks great. I have no idea if it will be the right size but excited to find out when our first baby arrives in about 4 weeks time!

Anonymous said...

Hi I was wondering the V stitch on row 2 and onward do you do a V stitch in the ch 1 space or 2 V stitches in each double crochet from row 1?

Anonymous said...

Hi Deb,
I love the pattern and wanted to know what I would do to make this a 6 mo- 1 yr size? Please email me at angelafattig@yahoo.com ASAP
Thanks
Angie

potamotrygorgeous said...

Hi Deb, thank you for sharing this pattern with us. I am a beginner in crochet and have a question.

In row 2-6 you say dc in each dc. That I understand, but then you say do a V stitch in each V-stitch. As I understand correctly, the V-stitch is made in row one by crochet dc-ch-dc. So, technically there are 3 stitches where I can put my next v-stitch. Must I do this? Or must I do a V-stitch in the chain 1 spave of the v-stitch of the previous row? Or in the top of the v-stitch? Or in all the three tops of the v-stitch?

Can you, if you would not mind, say per row how many stitches there are in the work?

Maybe the people who have succesfully made this pattern can otherwise give comments?
Thanks!

(email: potamotrygorgeous at hotmail dot com)

Deb Upcycles said...

You need to put a dc in each dc of the previous V-stitch and a V-stitch in the ch 1 space of the previous V-stitch

Cerina said...

Such a cute little sweater. I've made two so far, one for a newborn boy and one for a 6-9 month girl (I think). I started with 56 chains and used and I hook with worsted weight Caron Simply Soft for the 6-9 month girl. I love how you can change the edging to make it for either gender. Thanks for a great pattern.

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I'm going to a baby shower and this is the perfect gift to give to a new Mommy!

Anonymous said...

I actually made two sweaters- one short and one long-sleeved. You can have a look at them.

http://kb4692.deviantart.com/

Anne said...

Thank you!!!! I was asked to make a newborn sweater set for someone to bring as a shower gift ~ this set is perfect!!! Am now working on the sleeves (going to make the sweater long sleeves) ~ this is one of the easiest patterns I've ever worked and I simply LOVE it!!!!!

Anne said...

Love this sweater pattern, can't wait to finish the set. It's for a friend who asked me to make her a sweater set for an upcoming baby shower. I'm sure she will love being able to give this to the mother to be.