Google
 

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Deb's V-Stitch Granny (Dishcloth) Free Crochet Pattern


We have a challenge going in my Yahoo group CraftingForACause to make dishcloths for a women's shelter. After making a few from patterns, of course I had to try one of my own. The reason I put the dishcloth in parenthesis is because that's what I made with the pattern but it could be used for any project using squares. It's a repeating pattern and I'm going to write it in a way that you can make it any number of rows.
.
For the dishcloth I used 3 oz. Sugar & Cream variegated worsted weight cotton and 1 oz solid. I used a J hook and finished size is about 12" square.
.
Starting V-stitch: Ch 4, dc in same stitch
.
V-stitch: dc,ch1,dc in same stitch
.
Corner: in corner space 2dc, ch2, 2dc
.
Start Dishcloth
Ch 4 and join.
.
Rd 1: ch3 (counts as dc) 2 dc, *ch 2, 3 dc* 3 times ch 2 and join
.
Rd 2: ch 3, dc in each dc work corner into each ch 2 space and join
.
Rd 3: Make sure you are in the center dc of the side make a starting V-stitch, sk next dc, 2dc, work corner, 2 dc, skip next st, V-stitch, sk st, 2 dc, work corner, continue around join to 3rd chain of first V- stitch and sl st into V-stitch
.
Rd 4: Starting V-stitch, skip next st, dc in next 4 dc, work corner, dc in next 4 dc, V-stitch, work all the way around in this pattern, join in same manner as above, sl st into V-stitch
.
Rd 5: Starting V-stitch*sk next st, dc, sk next st, V-stitch, sk next st, dc in next 2 stitches, work corner, dc in next 2 st, sk st, V-Stitch, sk st, dc, sk, st, V- stitch around and join
.
Rd 6: Starting V-stitch, dc in every dc V-stitch in every V stitch and work corners around
.
Rd 7: Starting V-stitch, *dc in every dc, V-stitch in every V-stitch to the last V- stitch of that side, sk1 of the side, dc in next st, sk 1, V-stitch, dc in next 2, corner, dc in next two stitches, sk 1, V-stitch, sk, continue around from * Join
.
Repeat rds 6 and 7 and end
.
Solid Border (optional)
Rd 10: Join solid color to any corner, ch3, 4 dc in corner, dc in every dc and in ch 1 space of V- stitches to corner, 5 dc in corner and continue around
.
For another dishcloth try Deb's Flower Dishcloth

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Hi, Deb! I'm working on squares for various charities, so I would be happy to check your pattern for you. And I've been looking for a V-stitch square, too! :-)

Give me a few days, and I'll get back to you.

A Musician by Grace

teakaycee said...

This is really a nice square! I think this will be one of my next I try! Thank you for sharing!!!
Blessings.........

Anonymous said...

Pretty pattern, fun to do too!
FYI It may be because I am fairly new to crocheting, haven't done many different patterns, but I had a couple problems with this. First off, I did have to ch 3 in the corners. Mine was looking too round with only 2.
I was reading the pattern for exactly what it said.
Then when I got to rnd 7 I got hung up. I tore out a couplerows a couple of times. I was ending up with too many dc's when it came time for row 7. Just in case anyone else has this problem...keep in mind when you are doing row 6 that it's not actually "dc in every dc". You need to skip 1 stitch before and after every v-stitch. Including the starting v-stitch.